Roasted Veggie Bake
Summer or winter, hot or cold, eat now or later
AND the oven does all the work.
What more can you ask for in a recipe?
Swap your veggies if you like, this is just what I used this time.
It will fill a rectangle baking dish measuring 15 x 30cm.
Any leftover roasted veggies can top a salad or frittata.
2 red onion
2 red peppers (small)
1 sweet potato
2 handfuls (12) Swiss mushrooms
2 handfuls spinach
Herbs – thyme, rosemary. Fresh or dried.
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt & pepper
- Pre-heat oven 200o C.
- Wash, dry and slice all veggies and place on 2 lined baking trays (except spinach)
- Drizzle with olive oil, salt & pepper and herbs, if using
- Bake for 25 minutes
- While that’s in the oven, make the tomato sauce (recipe below)
- Start layering the baking dish, start with tomato sauce on the base
- Then layer the veggies & sauce, there’s not right or wrong
- Keep going, save some sauce for the top
- Cover with foil and back into the oven at 180oC, cook for 25 minutes
- Remove foil and cook for another 10 mins
Serve hot or cold. Great with a slaw and some sauerkraut or kimchi on the side.
1 jar tomato passata (700ml)
1 cup water
1 large garlic clove
1 tbsp olive oil
salt & pepper
- Gently fry off garlic for 20 seconds in a medium saucepan, add tomato passata, water, salt & pepper.
- Bring to a boil, lid on and cook for 20 minutes. Taste and if it’s too tart add 1/2 tsp sugar.
- Store for up to 4 days in the fridge or freeze
Cheaper and better than a purchased one