Kale Salad with Walnuts & Pecorini
Kale is amazing! Well that’s what I think anyway. I find this salad get those that declare they don’t like kale over the line, so much so that they want to make it themselves. Go on, try it!
½ cup walnuts
¼ cup golden raisins
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
¼ cup slightly course homemade breadcrumbs
1 bunch kale, washed
1 clove garlic, minced
½ cup pecorino cheese, grated
1 lemon, juiced
4 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp salt
fresh pepper, salt or red pepper flakes to taste
- Heat oven to 150oC and place walnuts on a baking tray, roast for 10 minutes. Let cool then coarsely chop.
- Toast breadcrumbs, garlic and 2 tbsp of olive oil in a small pan with a pinch of salt until golden. Set aside.
- Strip kale of stems, roll up and thinly slice.
- Put kale in a large bowl with a pinch of salt and massage, (think remedial massage for a good 5 mintues) until it softens, watch it turn a wonderful rich deep green color.
- Add in the pecorino (don’t skip this unless you are vegan), walnuts and raisins to the kale.
- In a small bowl add lemon juice, vinegar & olive oil and mix together to make the dressing and pour this onto the kale and combine well. Season with the pepper.
- If you can, let it sit aside for 10 minutes for the flavours to develop.
- Top with breadcrumbs and more olive oil, if you like.