Figs Baked with Honey & Walnuts
Sweetness, crunch, creaminess and a little touch of tartness (totally optional). Serve the baked figs with coconut yogurt and a scattering of barberries just to take the edge off the sweetness. You could use goji berries too as they add a touch of tartness which I think is needed as the baked figs ooze the most deliciously sweet syrup.
8 figs (or 4 large figs)
2 tbsp butter or coconut oil
2 tbsp honey
a handful of walnuts
1 1/3 cups coconut yogurt
1 tsp vanilla paste
2 tbsp barberries or goji berries to garnish
- Heat the oven to 200oC
- Cut a cross into each fig about 3/4 of the way down so they open up a little
- Place in a small baking dish that holds them all firmly & add a little of the butter or coconut oil in the centre of each fig
- Drizzle over the honey
- Crumble the walnuts in your hand and scatter over the figs
- Place uncovered in the oven for about 20 minutes, checking to see they don’t burn
- While they’re cooking mix the vanilla paste into the coconut yogurt and chat with your friends while the figs cook away
- When ready place a smear of the yogurt mix on a plate and serve the figs hot with the juices and berries
Skip the honey if you don’t want any added sugar – believe me you wont miss it. Then have them on your granola for breakfast!
Make the most of the fig season as it is short lived, running from the end of Summer to early Autumn.